Boy, 6, has heart attack and dies after drinking Monster Energy drink – World News

0

Young Francisco Cervantes saw the energy drink on a table while at his grandmother’s house in Matamoros, northeastern Mexico, and he quickly gulped it down.

Francisco saw a glass on the table filled with Monster Energy and downed it to quench his thirst

A six-year-old boy has died after apparently drinking a glass of Monster Energy drink.

The tragic incident happened while the youngster was visiting his grandmother’s house in Matamoros, northeastern Mexico, on April 16.

According to reports, the young Francisco Cervantes saw on the table a glass filled with Monster Energy – an energy drink – and drank it quickly to quench his thirst.

He immediately started feeling unwell and was taken by his relatives to the local Hospital Alfredo Pumarejo.

After admission, he was diagnosed with poisoning and later brain death.







Francisco spent six days hospitalized in a coma
(

Picture:

Getty Images)


He spent six days hospitalized in a coma, as his mother, Jessica, initially refused to allow him to be disconnected from his artificial life support machine.

The bereaved mum later reportedly said, “Thank you to everyone who came out to offer their support.

“Unfortunately, my son couldn’t take it anymore. At this time, we will see the funeral costs to give him his Christian burial.”

Various health professionals and services, including the NHS, advise young children not to consume energy drinks, which are often high in caffeine and sugar.

It was not reported if young Francisco had any known pre-existing health conditions.







The tragic incident took place while the youngster was visiting his grandmother’s house in Matamoros, in northeastern Mexico.
(

Picture:

Google Maps)


As noted in a 2019 study, the US Food and Drug Administration said there were 34 deaths attributed to energy drinks, warranting an investigation into their safety.

The study, titled “Impact of high-volume energy drink consumption on electrocardiographic and blood pressure parameters: a randomized trial,” reported that “[e]consumption of energy drinks has been associated with cardiac arrest, myocardial infarction, spontaneous coronary dissection and coronary vasospasm”.

This mirror has contacted Monster Energy for comment.







Francisco immediately started feeling discomfort after drinking the energy drink
(

Picture:

AFP/Getty Images)


The news comes after the equally tragic death of a four-week-old baby who was found with more than four times the legal alcohol limit that an adult would be allowed to drive in his system.

Police have arrested Marquis Simon Colvin, 25, and Sydnei Moran Dunn, 24, who are accused of killing their four-week-old baby by alcohol poisoning in Paulding County, US state of Georgia.

The four-week-old infant was taken to hospital by his parents and was unresponsive.

The youngster’s mother, Sydnei Moran Dunn, said she had consumed a large amount of alcohol the night before and the child must have been poisoned by alcohol while breastfeeding.

However, Dunn then indicated that the father of the child had put alcohol in the baby’s bottle, with doctors saying the child had an amount of alcohol in his system well in excess of four times the legal limit for an adult.

Read more

Read more

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.