Out-of-league superfan dies after sinking 13 pints and falling in pub stairwell


A non-league football superfan has tragically died after drinking around 13 pints in an away game against Weymouth FC, an investigation has revealed.

Matthew Allcock, 46 from Hertfordshire, was tragically found at the bottom of a staircase in a pub in Weymouth, Dorset.

Tributes poured in for the beloved Kings Langley FC supporter, who was a committee member and sponsor of the club, after his gruesome death in January 2019, Dorset Live reports.

The club said in a statement: “Matt was known and loved by everyone at the club. His ultimate passing, at just 46, was deeply felt by everyone at the club and the community beyond.

Mr Allcock’s body was found in The Sailors Return pub

“Matt has been an inspiration to all of us with boundless enthusiasm to support the club and he, more than anyone, has done so much to engender the spirit of unity and camaraderie that exists throughout the club today.

“Matt will be forever remembered by so many in our community. He will be sadly missed by all those he touched. “

An inquest jury found that Mr. Allcock had consumed a “large amount” of alcohol and died as a result of an accident.

The court heard that the man had been drinking for about 12 hours.

The inquest heard Mr Allcock witnessed the sailors return to Weymouth harbor around noon with two friends and drank three pints before leaving for the game against Weymouth.

It was said he still had three pints on the football field before the game started.

Never want to miss a story like this? You can receive all Daily Star articles straight to your inbox! Register in seconds here!

He then drank another beer at halftime and drank another two or three pints at the previous bar after the game.

The 46-year-old then returned to the hotel bar with two friends where he is believed to have at least three pints and two spirits and mixers as he watched a live band, the investigation.

Mr Allcock was seen carrying a drink up the stairs just before midnight, but just 15 seconds later he was found on the floor by a member of staff.

Mr Middleton said: “Mr Allcock is lying on his back, his legs and feet are upstairs, his head and left shoulder are behind the interior door and the interior door itself is ajar but appears to be wedged under Mr. Allcock’s left armpit. “

The court heard that paramedics arrived within 15 minutes and discovered Mr. Allcock was in cardiac arrest.

Despite the best attempts at resuscitation at Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester, he was sadly pronounced dead just after 1 a.m. on January 20.

There is no evidence that anyone saw or directed Mr. Allcock down the stairs.

But a pathologist confirmed that Mr Allcock’s cause of death was a head injury and that there was evidence of a skull fracture and brain hemorrhage.

An investigation was quickly launched but the police did not consider the death to be suspicious.

Mr Middleton said: “There was no suggestion from the scene that this was anything other than an accident in which the injured person fell down the stairs.”

Source link


About Author

Leave A Reply