Shirtless thug left man unconscious outside bar after sudden brutal attack


A man suffered brain damage after being attacked outside a bar by a man under the influence of a cocktail of cocaine and alcohol.

Simon Griffiths, 33, of Linney Square, Wigan, launched the attack outside Ice Bar in Ormskirk Street, St Helens, in the early hours of December 5 last year.

Liverpool Crown Court heard on Friday February 4 how Griffiths, who pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, was shown on CCTV chasing the victim following a verbal altercation.

READ MORE: PICTURED The teenagers who stabbed Reece Tansey to death as their parents thought they were asleep

The 43-year-old victim was shown screaming and pointing at Griffiths, who then removed his shirt and began attacking him.

Griffiths punched the victim four times in the head before pushing him to the ground, said Ken Grant, prosecuting.

The attack caused the victim’s head to hit the road as he fell.

Simon Griffiths, 33, was jailed after attacking a man outside a bar.

Moments after the attack, Griffiths left leaving the man motionless.

As he was trying to put his top back on, he was stopped by a police officer who had been dispatched to the scene by the CCTV operator.

The victim was rushed to hospital and kept for two days for observation.

A CT scan showed bruising to the brain and bleeding to the surface of the brain. He had also suffered a laceration to the left eardrum.

In court, Mr Grant explained how police noted at the time that Griffiths was very drunk.

He also had slurred speech, glassy eyes and a strong smell of alcohol on his breath.

Ice Bar on Ormskirk Street, St Helens

When questioned by police, Griffiths said he had been drinking more than usual and had also taken cocaine.

He claimed the victim and his son verbally “baited” him at the ice bar, which made him feel intimidated and nervous.

He said he didn’t want to let them get away with the way they treated him and things got out of hand.

Griffiths claimed that he and the victim pushed each other before the attack, which knocked him to the ground.

He expressed remorse during his interview and was reportedly concerned about the victim’s condition, Mr Grant added.

David Polglase, defending, said Griffiths, who has previous convictions, including for violence, pleaded guilty and was remorseful.

Mr Polgase stressed that there was no evidence of a long-term effect on the victim.

Jailing him for 18 months, Judge Garrett Byrne said he accepted Griffiths was genuinely remorseful.

Sign up for MEN’s email newsletters to get the latest on sports, news, current affairs and more by following this link


About Author

Comments are closed.