Victoria restaurant sexual assault arrested, police say

0

Victoria Police said they made an arrest as part of their ongoing investigation into reports of sexual violence associated with a bar and grill in downtown Victoria.

In a press release, the Victoria Police Department did not name the suspect, who they said was arrested in the Lower Mainland on Friday. The man has since been released with a court date and conditions, including an order not to contact survivors of the sexual assaults he allegedly committed, police said.

VicPD said the man faced “several recommended charges of sexual assault.” The allegations against him have neither been tested nor proven in court.

Police say the investigation stems from online allegations of sexual violence posted on social media at the end of January this year.

Police called on those who shared their experiences to come forward, and “a lot of people” did, VicPD said.

Although Victoria Police have not named the restaurant, CTV News has previously reported on the allegations against Jesse Chiavaroli, a former employee of Chuck’s Burger Bar, who has faced protests after the allegations were made public and closed its doors permanently in March.

In February, the restaurant said it was not aware of the allegations until they surfaced online, when they fired him. Chuck’s said he received a written complaint from a staff member about the man in 2019, but the situation was resolved at the time and Chiavaroli was reprimanded.

In June Chiavaroli was arrested on six counts of sexual assault by the Burnaby RCMP on behalf of the Hamilton Police.

Hamilton Police said at the time the arrest was the result of a lengthy investigation into restaurants and bars in the city of Ontario. They also said they suspected there might be other victims in Ontario.

According to Hamilton Police, Chiavaroli worked in the restaurant and bar industry in Niagara Falls and St. Catherines from 2009 to 2015, and in Hamilton from 2015 to 2018.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.